Got a zucchini in your Good & Fugly box this week? It’s one of our favourite vegetables and there’s nothing quite like the quality of fresh Australian zucchini direct from Aussie growers.
Did you know that it’s also one of the most versatile vegetables? In fact, once people get stuck in and start experimenting, they generally find that these humble cylinders of goodness become a staple – they can’t stop using them in every dish!
To help get you started on that journey, here’s a whole bunch of excellent ideas for what you can do with the Good and Fugly zucchinis. Whether you’re feeding the family or entertaining a party, these quick and easy recipes have you covered:
- Zucchini Noodles with Pesto: Forget spaghetti, and use this versatile and soft vegetable as an alternative! It’ll have a similar texture but a far deeper and more enjoyable flavour. Use a spiraliser to make zucchini noodles, then toss them with homemade or store-bought pesto.
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats: Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the centre to create "boats." Fill them with a mixture of cooked ground meat, veggies, and cheese, then bake until tender. It’s excellent finger food!
- Zucchini Fritters: Grate a zucchini and combine it with eggs, breadcrumbs, grated cheese, and seasonings. Form the mixture into patties and fry until golden brown. Serve with a side of sour cream or tzatziki sauce.
- Zucchini and Corn Quesadillas: For a Mexican spin, all you need to do is sauté sliced zucchini and corn kernels with onions and garlic. Spread the mixture over a tortilla, sprinkle with cheese, and cover with another tortilla. Cook until the cheese melts and the tortillas are crispy.
- Zucchini Pizza Bites: Watching the carbs but craving a pizza? Well then, all you need to do is replace the base! Slice zucchini into rounds, brush with olive oil, and top with pizza sauce, cheese, and your favourite toppings. Bake until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Zucchini and Tomato Tian: Layer sliced zucchini, tomatoes, and onions into a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with herbs, and bake until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelised.
- Zucchini and Feta Salad: Thinly slice zucchini and toss with crumbled feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs, lemon juice, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper for a light, refreshing, and utterly delicious salad.
- Zucchini and Sweet Potato Pancakes: Grate zucchini and sweet potato, then mix with eggs, flour, and spices. Pan-fry a few spoonfuls of the batter until crispy and serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- Zucchini and Mushroom Stir-Fry: Sauté zucchini and mushrooms with garlic and ginger in a hot skillet. Add soy sauce, sesame oil, and a pinch of red pepper flakes for a quick, healthy, and totally filling vegan meal.
- Zucchini Bread: This is a perennial favourite, and is so easy to make. All you need to do is grate zucchini and add it to your bread mixture. You’ll find it a quirky and flavourful addition to a classic quick bread recipe. Add spices like cinnamon and nutmeg for a delicious treat.
That’s the meals and sides covered. Now for some easy snacks that will be so much better for you (and more enjoyable to eat) than a packet of potato chips off the supermarket shelves.
- Baked Zucchini Fries: Slice zucchini into fry-shaped pieces, coat them in breadcrumbs or panko mixed with your favourite seasonings, and then bake until crispy. Serve with a dipping sauce like marinara or garlic aioli.
- Zucchini Chips: Slice zucchini into thin rounds, toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then bake them in the oven until they turn into crispy chips. You can always add some grated Parmesan cheese for extra flavour.
- Zucchini “Sushi” Rolls: Use a mandoline or vegetable peeler to thinly slice zucchini lengthwise. Fill the slices with your choice of ingredients like avocado, cucumber, carrots, and cream cheese, then roll them up and secure them with toothpicks.
- Zucchini Hummus: Combine cooked and cooled zucchini with chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and spices in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and serve with pita chips or fresh vegetables.
- Zucchini Bruschetta: Grill or toast slices of baguette and top them with a mixture of diced zucchini, tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese for some extra bite!
- Zucchini Guacamole: Blend cooked zucchini with mashed avocado, lime juice, diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and seasonings for a healthier twist on traditional guacamole, but one that has all the punch that you’re looking for. Serve with tortilla chips or vegetable sticks.
- Zucchini and Goat Cheese Roll-Ups: Spread a layer of goat cheese on thin zucchini slices, then roll them up. Secure with toothpicks and sprinkle with herbs like dill or basil for an elegant and tasty snack.
- Zucchini Quesadilla Bites: Cut zucchini into small squares and sauté them with onions and bell peppers. Place a spoonful of the mixture between two small tortilla rounds, add cheese, and toast in a skillet until the cheese is melted.
- Zucchini and Ricotta Stuffed Mushrooms: Remove the stems from large mushroom caps and fill them with a mixture of sautéed zucchini, ricotta cheese, breadcrumbs, garlic, and herbs. Bake until the mushrooms are tender and the filling is golden. These things will make you the life of the party.
- Zucchini Salsa: Finely dice zucchini and combine it with diced tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, cilantro, lime juice, and spices to create a refreshing and vibrant salsa. Serve with tortilla chips or bring it along to a BBQ, because this goes great on meats.
- Zucchini and Feta Bites: Cut zucchini into bite-sized pieces and top each piece with a small cube of feta cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dried oregano. Bake until the zucchini is tender and the cheese is slightly melted.
- Zucchini Sausage Bites: Cut zucchini into thick rounds and scoop out a small portion from the centre to create a well. Fill each well with cooked crumbled sausage and top with shredded cheese. Bake until the zucchini is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Zucchini and Ricotta Bruschetta: Grill or toast slices of baguette and spread a layer of ricotta cheese on top. Top with sautéed zucchini slices, a drizzle of balsamic glaze, and a sprinkle of fresh basil.
- Zucchini and Corn Fritters: Grate zucchini and mix it with fresh corn kernels, flour, eggs, chopped herbs, and seasonings. Drop a few spoonfuls of the mixture onto a hot skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides. Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
- Zucchini and Smoked Salmon Roll-Ups: Slice zucchini into thin strips and lightly grill or blanch them to soften. Lay a strip of smoked salmon on each zucchini strip, then roll them up. Secure with toothpicks and serve as elegant and flavourful finger food.
This is just the start of what you can do with this versatile, incredible vegetable. Have fun, be creative, and do let us know your favourite zucchini inventions!