It’s the giving season, so why not gift a loved one (or even yourself) something truly fugly (and delicious)? We’ve got special Christmas fruit boxes all ready to go, and they’ll have you sorted for the many Christmas parties and hot summer days ahead (and don't forget our gift cards).
Our Ultimate Food Saver Fruit Box is a celebration of Australian produce and innovation, and has a bit of everything. There’s the fruit itself, of course, and that’s packed with favourites that will go perfectly on a nibbling board, or as ingredients for your favourite pudding or fruit mince pie recipe.
But that’s just the start. The Ultimate Food Saver Fruit Box also includes Sweet Sunny Times Raw Honey from farmers Aidan and Michi – this is rescue honey and you’ll be rescuing some of Australia’s finest! For those with a sweet tooth, there is Worthy Cause’s Chunky Choc Chip Cookies, and then there are a couple of gifts, too. The box includes the award-winning Veggie Saver pouch, which will keep your fruit and veg crisp and delicious for longer, and the Food Saver's A-Z book will give you a jam-packed guide to storing, using up and making the most of every ingredient in your kitchen.
Meanwhile, for anyone who is just looking for a fruit box to bring to a party or for those working in the office over Christmas, you can also order the fruit box by itself.
Some slam-dunk fruit recipes this Christmas
When you open the fruit box, your first thought might be “what can I do with all this fruit?”
(there really is a lot packed into the box). Luckily, the Australian Christmas is the perfect time to rediscover a love of fruit. Here are some ingenious recipe ideas to convert that box into seasonal delights for a memorable feast.
Gingerbread Pear Trifle:
It doesn’t have to be pear – try other firm and crispy fruits like apples!
- 2 cups gingerbread cake, cubed
- 3 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 cups vanilla pudding
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Ground cinnamon for dusting
- In trifle glasses or a large trifle dish, layer gingerbread cake cubes at the bottom.
- Add a layer of diced pears and sprinkle with crystallized ginger.
- Pour a layer of vanilla pudding over the pears.
- Repeat the layers until you reach the top of the dish, finishing with a layer of whipped cream.
- Dust the top with ground cinnamon for a festive touch.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving to allow the flavours to meld. Enjoy this delightful gingerbread pear trifle!
Citrus Glazed Ham:
Is there anything more iconic to an Australian Christmas than ham? Here’s the absolute best way to prepare it.
- 1 fully-cooked ham
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- Slices of oranges and pineapple for garnish
- Preheat the oven according to the ham's package instructions.
- Score the ham and insert whole cloves into the cuts.
- In a saucepan, combine orange juice, pineapple juice, brown sugar, and Dijon mustard. Simmer until the mixture thickens into a glaze.
- Brush the ham with the citrus glaze, reserving some for basting.
- Bake the ham, basting with the glaze every 20 minutes, until heated through.
- Garnish with slices of oranges and pineapple before serving.
Fruit Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing:
Through the heat of the Australian summer, having something as intensely refreshing as this is sure to be a winner with the whole family.
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup green grapes, halved
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Mint leaves for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, blueberries, grapes, strawberries, and pineapple.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey and lime juice to create the dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over the fruit and gently toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with mint leaves for a refreshing and colourful Christmas fruit salad.
Give the of Fuglies: Gift Cards available now!
We have one other announcement to make, just in time for Christmas: Good & Fugly gift cards are available now! You can spread the joy of good food and help fight against food waste by giving people the chance to try a Good & Fugly box for themselves.
Gift cards are available from $50 to $150, and are delivered digitally, so they’re available the moment you want to gift them! Then the recipient can purchase a box at their leisure and have it delivered direct to their door when they’re ready for it. With the amount of fruit and veg in each box, it’s truly the gift that keeps on giving.