You only have to stroll the supermarket aisle to see the incredibly large selection of salad dressings available. French dressing, thousand island dressing, blue...there's so many options. However, with many of us trying to reduce spending and waste, way not make your salad and veggie dressings at home?
Homemade dressings are easy to make and a great way to keep using up items in your Good & Fugly box. Why not start with a simple balsamic vinaigrette. It's perfect for most salads adding, veggies or added to a wrap or sandwich. Homemade salad dressings are always fresh, therefore packing a punch and transforming a salad or veggie dish.
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- A teaspoon of honey
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- Pinch of salt
To create your balsamic vinaigrette:
- Whisk balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard garlic until well combined.
- Add the olive oil ad keep mixing. You want your dressing to slightly thicken
- At this point, keep tasting and adjusting to your preferences. If you're after a sweeter taste, drizzle in a little more honey.
- Once you have perfected to taste, store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Once you have your balsamic vinaigrette, why not move onto other dressings. The options are endless! Here's some more inspiration:
- For a zesty dressing, great for salads and fresh greens like asparagus, try lemon and olive oil with salt and pepper
- For a rich ranch mix mix mayonnaise, buttermilk, garlic, dried herbs and salt and pepper
A quick note on storage - most dressings should last up to week in the fridge. You will want to store them in an airtight container. Old jam jars are perfect for this. Sterilise jars before you. Here's how!
What's great about homemade dressings is that you can really get creative and experiment with flavour. It's about trying different variations and adding a little more or a less of different ingredients that suit your tastes.
If you're after more ideas, here are some more great ones from Jamie Oliver.
What salad dressings do you like to make at home? Be sure to tag us in any pics on socials and share the inspiration with the Good & Fugly community.
And if you're in need of ingredients, be sure to order your next fruit and veggie box. It will be delivered straight to your door.