Happy Earth Day! Here at Good & Fugly our mission is rooted in sustainability, and there's no better time than Earth Day to start your journey towards living a more eco-conscious life. We're doing our bit to tackle food waste through our fruit and vegetables subscription boxes – turning fugly produce destined for landfill into something beautiful and delicious!
Food waste is a serious issue, but not only because of its direct contribution to landfill. When we waste food, we ultimately waste all the resources that went into producing that food in the first place.
According to the United Nations Environmental Program: "One-third of all food produced in the world – approximately 1.3 billion tonnes – is lost or wasted every year. Globally, if food waste could be represented as its own country, it would be the third-largest greenhouse gas emitter, behind China and the United States."
In Australia, food waste costs households $8 billion a year, with the average family throwing out one in five bags of groceries or $2,000 to $2,500 per household per year. On top of the costs, when food rots in landfills it emits methane gas – 25 times more potent than carbon dioxide.
So, how can you take action to invest in the planet – Good & Fugly style – this Earth Day? Here are a few ways to reduce your food waste footprint:
- Transform your leftovers into meals
- Harness the power of your freezer
- Compost your food scraps via a worm farm
- Store your food properly so that it stays fresher for longer
- Eat the entire fruit or vegetable, including the skin
- Follow these general tips for reducing your household waste
- Buy seasonal produce
- Plan your meals ahead of time and only purchase what you need
- Try out a fruit and veggie subscription box that fits your needs!
Earth Day may only be once a year, but here at Good & Fugly we're committed to sustainability 365 days a year!