We all want our fruit and veg to last as long as possible. Longer lasting fruit and veggies means purchasing less and saving more money. Not to mention that longer lasting fruit and veggies means you're less likely to end up with waste, as you can better plan your meals across the week.
Fruit and vegetables have varying life spans. An important factor is how long the produce is transported for. From the moment the fruit and veggies are harvested at the farm, they are then transported to their next destination. Sometimes this can mean being in refrigerated trucks for long period of time before they finally hit the supermarket shelves. This can also include a stint in the freezer or fridge. This means that the produce can be stored for a long period of time before it even hits the supermarket. This can be why sometimes your produce starts to deteriorate quickly. At Good & Fugly, we truly care about getting your fruit and veggies to you asap. We work hard to plan our pick-up times so the point between the farm and you is as short as possible.
Once you have your Good & Fugly stash, there are a few tips and tricks to ensure it lasts as long as possible.
How to keep your veggies fresh
- Potatoes and onions can all be left at room temperature. As long it's a cool and dry place, they can last over a month
- Keep all your leafy greens and veggies in the crisper in your fridge. It will extend their life. Make sure you remove any excess moisture before you put them in.
- Bananas and avocados can be left at room temperature, but if they are already ripe and you want to keep them for a bit longer, pop them in the fridge.
- Most fruit can be kept in a cool, dry place out of the fridge if you intend on eating in the next few days. To keep them a little longer, you can place them in the fridge.
- If you want to keep fruit longer, you could consider freezing. Learn the best practice for freezing fruit here.
Ensuring your fruit and vegetables last as long as possible simply requires a little planning. We particularly love the USE IT UP tape by OzHarvest. This ingenious invention means you can easily mark the piece of fruit or veggie that is nearing the end of its life. How many times have you dug around your fridge only to find that apple you intended to eat now worse for wear? This tape reminds you to eat it before that happens. A great way to stop wasting fruit and veg. Get your tape here. What we also love about this tape is that helps you get into the habit of continually reviewing what you have in your kitchen, what needs to be eaten soon as well as, what you could use for in your next meal.
So, when it comes to keeping your fruit and veggies fresh, remember that buying produce that hasn't been in storage for a long time, to begin with, is a great start. Then it's down to sorting your produce into a bowl on the bench or the fridge. Finally, keep track of what you have. Plan as much as possible, use tape to remind yourself of what needs to be eaten soon.
Ready to get your next Good & Fugly box delivered?